Monday, November 3, 2008

Sign of Times

A little preview to the rest of my story... A few weekends ago, I went to visit my in-laws in Utah and to go to the Witchapalooza Girls' Night Out party at Gardner Village with them. Because children are not aloud, I had to find someone to sit with Kelton. The original plan was to have Travis' Aunt sit with him, but Waiva knew of some girls in her ward that had babysat her little girl before and did a great job. Trusting my sister-in-law I left Kelton with two girls that Waiva knew. Keep in mind that I've never left him with anyone other than family, so this was a test for me! Well...needless to say that called us at the party to have us come home because Kelton would NOT stop crying. Yes, he was sleep deprived. But I just didn't seem impressed...they both had their cell phones and were texting the entire time we were finishing getting ready?? When I did get back to pick him up, he RAN out the door and fell down trying to get to me!!!! Well... Travis and I were in some desperate need of alone time and good food, but our favorite sitters (Nate and Dani) were in Reno. I was recently called to the Young Women's as the Mia Maid advisor and thought that some of them would be able to keep Kelton entertained for a few hours. I couldn't get ahold of any of the girls in my class, but was reminded of the Bishop's daughter who is a Beehive and who accepted the challenge. When I went to pick her up, she had a friend (one of the Mia Maids I tried calling earlier)with her who wanted to tag along...NO PROBLEM! Long story short...Kelton absolutely ADORED these two girls. When we got back home, Kelton was running around giggling and didn't have a care in the world that I was even there! The point to this post... Back in the day, when I was a babysitter, I got paid $2 an hour (per kid). BUT...I also did dishes, laundry, diaper duty, bath, and anything else the parents needed help with. What do these girls do now? Is it normal to worry the entire time you're out? Is it normal to want to know what they did each and every minute I was gone? And what is fair pay??

4 comments:

Seth and Natalie said...

You got paid hourly? I would watch 4 kids for 6 hours, clean up the house and get $5! (I know, I was gypped) I haven't ever left Rylee with anyone besides family, and even though I pay my sis, it's always just how much cash I happen to have handy. Sorry I'm so not helpful. You could always take Kelton over to Tessa's, she lives in elko! ;)

Anonymous said...

Ha! Yeah that is funny because when I use to babysit I would do a lot of chores for the family as well. But in turn I still think parents worried then as you or parents do today.

Michelle said...

You need to pay ur sitter good! That way when u call her a moments notice she says Yes of course!! :) I pay mine $2 an hour per kid, but she is family. But she doesn't clean up..she takes care of my babies and thats all I can ask for...right?? or am I getting jipped??(sp) Want to try a story time some time (its free my favorite kind of activity)? I think it is normal to worry about your baby no matter who is watching...

Kimber said...

I can't answer your questions, but I've thought about the same situation. When I babysat I always cleaned up and did the dishes on top of entertaining and putting kids to bed. I ask adults if I can drop Rex off so I don't have to worry about him or pay them.