Sunday, June 28, 2009

Nursery Bully

Okay all you experienced moms! I need your ideas!! Today at church I was pulled out of Young Women's by one of the primary leaders. She was standing there holding Kelton's hand. I thought, "Oh...he must have a dirty diaper." NOPE! The primary leader looks at me (sympathetically) and tells me that Kelton had been hitting, biting, and pulling hair all afternoon and that the nursery leader couldn't take it anymore! WHAT?! Please tell me that this is just a phase! How can I lovingly teach him how to act appropriately around other kids? I've tried making a big deal out of the other kid being sad hoping that Kelton would see how sad it makes the other kids...I've tried pulling his hair so that he sees how painful it is...I've tried time-outs and spanking too! Just not sure where to go from here and I definitely don't want to raise a bully! HELP!!!!

5 comments:

Seth and Natalie said...

I am no help to you here, because unfortunately I'm raising a wild child myself. We try super hard to tone down the fiesty-ness, but it's just not working. She hasn't ever tried to beat up anybody yet, but that could just be the difference between girls and boys. Good luck, and if you get good advice let me know:)

Melissa said...

Just keep doing what you are doing. I don't think that it is any one tactic that works, it is just continually reinforcing the behavior you want. Besides you get one kid figured out and you have another that is totally different. One book that really helped us (but we don't use it exclusively) is 1-2-3- Magic.

Jenny and James said...

The only thing I can think of is go into nursery with him so that you can discourage the behavior. When someone else tells him no it might not have the same impact if Mom or Dad told him no. That's all I can think of though.

Amanda said...

I agree with Jenny. Maybe you should try sitting in there with him, or Travis could. Just be consistent with whatever you do. Kids really respond to consistency. So everytime he does something you don't want him to do, punish him the same way. You just gotta make sure it's something he doesn't like. Anna does great with time-outs, but not all kids respond to that.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could give advice but I know NOTHING about babies.

:)

I still like your boy