Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Kelton's 1st E.R. visit

Last week Kelton woke up in the middle of the night screaming. After checking him over, we found a small blister on his right pinky. Funny thing was that he was complaining about his bum. Not sure where this blister came from and having him fall right back asleep we thought nothing of it. Then the next day the blister continued to grow bigger and bigger and his entire hand was swelling! I thought maybe a spider had bit him and was watching the skin to see if it started sluffing off or turning black, but all I saw was a little rash on both hands? Still not wanting to be an over-bearing mother I offered tylenol for pain and added extra TLC. Then around 4pm that day, he had a sudden fever of 102.8 and started vomiting?! Yep...we sped to the hospital. When we got into triage his temp had gone up to 103.4 and we were then taken to a room. Still 15 minutes later, nothing had been done about his high fever! We were seen by a Physician's Assitant and she quickly told us it was MRSA (nasty stuff) without even really doing a full examination or anything. Kelton hadn't touched anything hot to have a blister from, but the P.A. didn't believe me, so she went ahead and popped the blister and took a culture. Kelton was given a bandaid, ointment, and wrap to keep him from ripping of the bandaid. Then we were told that if the culture grew anything, we'd be given a call. We went ahead and continued to live our normal lives. Then I noticed his rash spreading to his ankles, arms, groin, and belly. Not sure where this was coming from and wondering if it was from my poor housekeeping skills, I decided to bleach his entire room. Toys, walls, books, wash bedding, etc. Then my mom recommended that I call the E.R. to see what the lab results were. Remember that I was told that they'd call me if anything grew. And keep in mind that it's been a week's time pass. I was given the run around, so I called Mom. She called the hospital and set a fire under a few people. Finally, I was called by another doctor who told me Kelton had Staph! LOVELY, that would've been nice to know a WEEK ago! They called in a perscription and he's had his first dose. We'll see if they know what they're talking about?! Wish us luck!! I'll add some pictures later!

8 comments:

sarahm said...

Poor little guy. It's a good thing you called. Staph is a nasty disease. I hope the antibotics help and that he gets better soon.

Austin said...

Poor little guy! Dr's are stupid!

Seth and Natalie said...

Poor Kelton. I have a friend who's daughter got staph infection on her face. The same morning they went to the dr. he said it was staph and she got some medicine. The wonderful efficiency of Elko Hospital. I had a baby there, and it was such a horrible experience. (minus my wonderful dr's office nurse:) That place is retarded!

Dresses and Spurs said...

Wow I can't believe they didn't call you! Hope he gets feeling better soon!

The Haskin Family!!!! said...

I freaking hate this hospital!! Uhh poor boy!

Jenny and James said...

I hope Kelton gets better. We've had many ER visits since moving her (5 in the last month between Clay and I) and I hate going there because they either speed you through or diagnose you wrong.

Michelle said...

poor thing! never ignore the mothers intuition!!! or fathers...

Sam and Brooke Ballard said...

Wow!!!!Sounds like it has been pretty interesting at your house too! I am so thankful it was me that was sick at our house though because I can't emagine how I would have handled it had it been Seth. I hope he is feeling better. It must be hard to see your little boy so sick. Good job though MOM! ;)