Thursday, March 13, 2008
SO DANG EXCITED!!!
I just have to share the most exciting thing that just happened to me!!!!
Kelton used to be the easiest baby to put to sleep. In the beginning, he actually prefered just to be layed down in his bed with his doggy blanket, binkie, and listen to his lullaby cd. But lately, and without much complaint, he's been wanting me to rock him to sleep. I've waited for this day for forever it seems like until it got WAY out of hand. Sometimes it would take up to 45 minutes for him to fall back asleep and pretty soon he expected me to hold him the entire night! If I layed him down after he fell asleep I'd have to start all over again.
Well...I called my friend, Amanda, who has a one year old and seems to know some tricks that I haven't learned yet. She shared some info that she read in some books and told me what had worked for her. She told me that they put up an air matress in their daughter, Anna's room and instead of picking her up when she cried, just laid down on the matress so that she could learn to put herself back to sleep without having to be rocked.
I thought it was a lame idea. First, because we don't have an air matress and the carpet stinks from the previous renters...second, because I thought Kelton would never go for it.
WELL...much to my surprise, and relief, it actually worked!!!!! I attempted to rock him back to sleep, but he was just too wiggly and would roll around in my arms. SO...I went for Amanda's suggestion and after 15 minutes Kelton was smacking his lips (this is what he does right before he drifts off). I hope I haven't just jinxed this new method...but I just had to share this wonderful new thing and it's way too late to call anyone! THANKS AMANDA!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
I just got to say, it must be teething. Chey went through the same kind of thing when she was cutting in her teeth. I got so fed up rocking her with her still screaming and arching backward in my arms, not wanting to go back to sleep. A few times I let her cry awhile on her own to wear herself out, then I'd go calm her down and she'd go to sleep much faster. I like your/Amanda's idea. I'll have to try that next time she's cutting more teeth. Lately she's been sleeping great though, but like you said I don't want to jinx it. I love the pics of Kelton, it sounds like he and Chey are doing the exact same things:)
Post a Comment